Literary Inspiration: Wilkie Collins on A Man's Tongue

Women can resist a man's love, a man's fame, a man's personal appearance, and a man's money, but they cannot resist a man's tongue when he knows how to talk to them.
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Oh those smooth talkin' boys... we all have them in our dating histories. FirstLove was my quintessential charmer, my knight in shining armour... always saying what I wanted to hear, even if he was acting less than perfect behind my back. We don't always for those that fall for us, for those whose power and money could fulfil our every wish. Our honeys may not always be the most gorgeous chocolate in the chocolate box but if they say the words that are chocolate to our starving hearts - SOLD.

Things a guy can say to make me feel wanted, loved - in essence, to steal my heart away:
♥ "You're gorgeous in my eyes" - I have a complex about being the 'smart one' as opposed to the 'pretty one', so a man who thinks I'm gorgeous makes me melt.
♥ "I want to protect you" - I'm a little old-fashioned this way, but I want a guy who is going to help me slay the dragons, that's going to be on my team, a little bit of you-and-me-against-the-world.
♥ "I can see myself marrying you/having gorgeous little kiddies with you" - see old-fashioned above, but I believe that (for me)being in a relationship only for the sake of having a partner is so not worth it. I need to know that the guy at least thinks there's a potential for getting serious, otherwise we're both just wasting our time.

What would a guy have to say to steal your heart away? Or what did he say, you lucky taken girls? Let me know in the comments!


3 comments:

  1. Aw, cute!! I'm old fashioned too, especially when it comes to bugs and David saving me from them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, my heart melts just reading this post!

    I love being told I look 'nice', I had someone tell me that the other day & my heart was a pile of gooey mush. Just the simplicity of the compliment.

    Apart from that it's been a while since a guy made my heart melt. This new guy just has to enter my thoughts & I'm gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww i love *those* feelings and can't wait to have them once again.

    current ex S.C. could always tell me I looked beautiful and i melted instantly!

    ReplyDelete