I love the holidays... so much more time!

Having bought some bacon with the best of intentions, it had languished in the fridge until today - close to the "use by" date. I met up with mum for lunch and managed to get a recipe for cheese and bacon muffins that I'd loved eating at home (ideal with pumpkin soup). Eating them with SB, they still had the delicious texture and taste I had enjoyed.

So I thought I would share this yummy recipe with you all! Credit must go to Mama Scribbles and to the book she originally used: "Mostly muffins" by Barbara Albright and Leslie Warner (copyright 1984)
Some substitutions were made to make it low in lactose... and because I felt like it :)

Recipe:
1 3/4 cups flour
2tsp baking powder
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt - I used a manuka smoked garlic salt for some extra zest
dash ground red pepper (or paprika) - I didn't have either so I used a dash of curry powder
8 slices (approx2-4 rashers) bacon cooked,drained, cooled, chopped - I used chicken bacon
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (or parmesan) - used parmesan as it is extremely low in lactose
1 cup milk - lactose-free milk works just fine
1 egg beaten
3 tbsp butter or margarine melted and cooled - I used rice bran oil
1/2 tsp dijon mustard or 1/4 tsp mustard powder

  1. Preheat oven 200 degrees C & grease ten 3x 1 3/4 inch muffin cups (this makes 9- 12 muffins depending on how much bacon you put in)
  2. In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper/paprika (curry powder).
  3. Stir in bacon and cheese.
  4. In another bowl combine milk, egg, butter (oil) and mustard til blended.
  5. Make a well in dry ingredients, add milk mixture and stir just to combine.
  6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups - bake 20 mins or until skewer comes out clean
  7. Remove from oven and cool 5 mins before removing from tins.

We had one each with dinner and the rest have been packed up for SB to take to work - something nice for his colleagues who covered him on our holiday. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. they should turn out fine without bacon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @holly - I would think so, maybe it would make more like six muffins without the bacon so you might want to double the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete