20 for 2010 - how did I do?

So how did I do?

Goals
  1. Get a teaching job - hopefully this will happen before 2010, but if not, it is my hope that I will be able to pick up a permanent role during the year. Achieved - it was only an LTR but it counted towards registration.
  2. Take a yoga class - my work place (that I am leaving just before Christmas *scared face*) offers one for a decent price so I really don't have an excuse. Fail. I've been doing yoga in the lounge but that doesn't really count
  3. Get fit - we are getting a Nintendo Wii soon and once we have a place that we know we are staying in next year we will be getting a treadmill - no excuse of crappy NZ weather. Achieved but still in progress. We did end up getting a treadmill and it's been good :D
  4. Go on an overseas holiday - at the moment, it looks like New Caledonia for the win. SB is not fond of flying so we're taking it in baby steps. We went on another holiday within NZ and have another domestic holiday planned for New Years. We have a couple of international holidays in the planning stages.
  5. Be more zen/foster patience - I know this is a huge character failing in myself and something I definitely need to improve on. Definitely getting there - being a full-time teacher really helps this.
  6. Do little, often - this year, I have often been guilty of coming in and dumping notes in areas and having these massive cleaning binges in the holidays. Next year, when we are settled, I need to develop a better system. Everything has a place and everything is in it's place. Fail - enough said.
  7. Buy a filing cabinet - see 6 above. Have no idea where we would currently put it, it's on hold.
  8. Develop more pride in myself - multiple reasons have led me in the past to think that I am not very good looking and this has reflected itself in my neglect to put myself together in a spectacular way. This stops now - I have a slammin' wash and wear hairstyle, now I just need to sparkle up my face and make sure I put together gorgeous outfits. Style mavens, I'm looking at you. I give myself an A for effort for this one. Style is a journey rather than a destination and I think that I've made a real effort so far.
  9. Be creative - so many of the handmade projects on the web inspire me. 2010 is going to be the year that I start creating them on my own. Getting there - I'm hoping that my time over the holidays allows me to develop my skills in these areas.
  10. Give consciously - think about the best solution for an issue and work towards that. Start in my own community and group of friends and move outwards. Agree - next step is to sit down with SB and work out what priorities we have for giving together.
  11. Bake more - one thing both SB and I love from our childhood years was how there was always something yummy of mum's baking around. I need to get into the habit now of creating these delicious treats (and then SB doesn't need to take so many processed snacks to work!)Cannot believe how much of a fail this is still is. Need better life balance.
  12. In the same vein, I need to learn how to decorate cakes better. Have this brilliant idea for a Bachelorette party cake and NO idea how to execute it. Ditto
  13. Take more photos - for some reason I didn't take as many photos this winter - I love having a photo record of the fun times I have and the beauty I see around me... loads of memories for when I'm gray and old LOL. Yup, definitely getting there. I need to be more insistent on getting the photos I want sometimes :)
  14. Leading on from 13 above, create some scrapbooks! There's not much use in having all my memories stored digitally - they need to be out, tangible and beautiful for people to see. Win! Have a gorgeous photo album documenting SB and I.
  15. Buy a sewing machine - it doesn't need to be a flash one, I'm just a beginner. Looking forward to perhaps trying to construct skirts that flatter my oddly shaped figure. Changed tangent halfway through the year - wanting to focus more on knitting and crochet at the moment.
  16. Make more meaningful connections with people... this is a hard one to describe in detail. I feel like I know lots of people but only know a select few... I want to get to know people better, find out what drives them, excites them, makes them tick. I think some of my friendships have definitely grown stronger this year and some of them have grown apart. Reminds me of the reason, season, lifetime theory... this year it feels more true than ever.
  17. Post more frequently to Scribbles - I've let life get away on me somewhat in the past year, so aiming for at least two posts a week in 2010 - that makes 104 little doses of me, which I'm sure you can tolerate :) Fail. No real excuse.
  18. Throw more dinner parties! There's nothing I love more than getting a group of friends together for a delicious meal. The dinner party we had this year was superb (even if it was a make-your-own burrito bar) and I want loads more repeats please! This didn't work out quite as well as planned. Moving in the latter half of the year threw a serious spanner in the works... must try harder next year.
  19. Start writing fiction like I have always planned to do... I'm not going to set a goal of even trying to get published next year but I need to start working towards it as a future goal. Because of study and because of the needs of my future profession, NaNoWriMo is never going to be an option for me but that doesn't mean I should not write. Hasn't happened LOL. And I don't have the same desire to do it that I did at the start of the year... hrmmmm
  20. Write more letters - this is a bit of a selfish one... I like writing letters because I LOVE receiving them. Far better than boring bills. Haven't written as many letters as I would like but have made a concerted effort to stay in better touch with people whatever way I can. It's important to maintain connections.
Well, that's a real mixed bag of results... some failures that I definitely still want to achieve (baking more, crafting more) and some that I don't care about (writing fiction). Time to sit down and do some serious planning for next year... keep your eyes peeled for the results of that :D

3 comments:

  1. You've definitely made progress!! It's fantastic to see. I'm inspired. I think I'll do the same for next year :)

    You're awesome, don't forget it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading people's goal lists, especially when they've achieved as much as you have! My list doesn't have many ticks this year, but I'm looking forward to making more goals for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you've done amazingly, miss! (The fact that you can even REMEMBER all of your 2010 ambitions is amazing to me! I think mine were somewhere along the lines of ''travel! Write. Travel! Write.'', but I'm not too sure!)

    ReplyDelete