30 books I should have read before I'm 30


Courtesy of Marc and Angel over at "Marc and Angel Hack Life". How many have you read? For an English Major, I haven't read that many! Better get onto it :)
  1. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse – No
  2. 1984 by George Orwell – Yes
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – No
  4. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess – I've seen the movie and it disturbed me so much I don't know that I want to read the book.
  5. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway – No
  6. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – No
  7. The Rights of Man by Tom Paine – No
  8. The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau – No
  9. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez – No
  10. The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin – Only exerpts at this stage
  11. The Wisdom of the Desert by Thomas Merton – No
  12. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell – No
  13. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham – Yup
  14. The Art of War by Sun Tzu – I've read a miniature abbreviated version, I'm saying this counts, pacifist that I am :)
  15. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien – Yes, I've read the books but I only ever saw the first movie... as a kiwi, isn't that scandalous??
  16. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens – Yes
  17. Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot – Not yet, but I'm intrigued to given the allusions that our lecture is giving between this
  18. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller – Yup :)
  19. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Not yet, and I'm surprised that I haven't
  20. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – Yes, thanks to my JAS for sending it over in our Christmas box one year
  21. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – No
  22. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli – No
  23. Walden by Henry David Thoreau – No
  24. The Republic by Plato – No
  25. LolitaYes, but I want to reread this... I read it at about fourteen and I think that I would have a completely different reading of this the second time around.
  26. Getting Things Done by David Allen – I've read everything that everyone has written on this book... does that count? LOL this is a no :)
  27. How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie – Yup
  28. Lord of the Flies by William Golding – Yeah, this one was a course requirement in high school.
  29. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck – No, and I really have no excuse - it's sitting on my parents bookshelf next to me.
  30. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov No
Wow, only ten out of the thirty, and that's stretching it a bit. Definitely have a couple of books to pick out of when I have more time to leisure read :)

1 comment:

  1. What a great list! I'm curious to know how many I've read but too lazy at the moment to count, :P

    ReplyDelete