Literary Inspirations: William Penn, found on a random piece of paper.

I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.
- William Penn

While in McDonalds (of all places!) on Sunday afternoon, I grabbed a little locally produced newsletter to pass the time until PianoMan came to the table with our food. Bam- right there was the aforementioned quote and it kind of blew my mind. I had no idea who William Penn even was, but I knew that I wanted to share this with you.

It turns out that William Penn founded Pennsylvania in the United States as a somewhat spiritual idyll - it was a province based on religious and moral ideals (my friends from the land of the brave, please enlighten further if you can!). Whether you are religious or not, living life by this creed - doing good and having no regrets - can only be good for your community.

It's inspired me to get involved with my church holiday programme for the holidays. I'm not going to be horrifically burdened by the assignments that need to be completed, I've got very little in the way of work, most of my friends will be working... As much as I'm sure he'd disagree, me showing up on the stoop of PianoMan's work every lunchtime for two weeks would probably get fairly old. I'm being presented with a unique opportunity to volunteer my time and sitting selfishly on my butt is not showing kindness. I may as well sit on my butt at the beach keeping an eye on kids in the water :D

What kindnesses are you doing because you will not get this time again? Scribblettes, I lay down the challenge for you to think of a good deed to do and commit to following through in the comments below. I look forward to hearing these!


No comments:

Post a Comment