Putting up with it...

As some of you who follow me on Twitter may know, this week I both worked at my practice school and at my evening job two evenings of this week - this meant I left home at 8am in the morning and got home at half past nine at night. I was over it by ohhh, about two hours into my evening shift on Monday :D
Texting PianoMan, I said I felt really over my job that night and that I wasn't really sure why - usually I love my evening job. He replied that part of it was probably that I'd already worked an entire day and that I was just out of concentration... and I think that's probably true. Teaching is a mentally taxing job. It also freaks me out, just a little, that I have twelve weeks (spread out throughout the rest of the year) of prac and work to go. I also wondered whether part of it is that I've really loved my time at my practice school - the experience has been a real confirmation that I made the right decision to go back to study, that teaching is what I'm meant to be doing with my life. Now a job that doesn't give me the same buzz doesn't quite measure up. I don't intend on giving up this job until January 2010 so I'm hoping I get that loving feeling back.
What it really all boils down to is putting up with it. I'm a firm believer that you can get through almost anything if you know that it is for a finite time. I know that there's only twelve more weeks of the year in which I need to teach and work evenings (and I may take two of those weeks off if I can find cover) and I know that there's only eight more months of work before I'm a beginning teacher (a thought that both excites and terrifies me LOL). There are people I know that are putting up with living oceans away from their partners, that are putting up with living spaces they don't love, that are putting up with all sorts of situations that don't gel with that image they have for their life. It's a heck of a lot easier to put up with it when you know that it's only for a limited amount of time. It's the uncertainty that's harder...
So shoot it back to me, Scribblettes... on this holiday weekend, are there things that you are "putting up with"? Or is uncertainty about the future killing your regular buzz?

2 comments:

  1. I'm putting up with my job, I'm putting up having to talk to my love over a web-cam. I'm glad you posted this.

    It's so easy to run yourself down with your own negativity, all it takes is the realisation that it will end, and bide your time until then.

    Another point on that is the fact that if you're only thought is "I can't do this", a - you're probably right & b - it will most likely take twice as long to get to that end point.

    Sorry, mammoth comment. I guess your post rings true than I realised. =)

    Bambola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just finished putting up with a long distance relationship while my husband was deployed. It sucked, but it was well worth the wait...absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Be strong! :)

    ReplyDelete