20 for 2010 update!

Way back at the end of 2009, I came up with some goals for 2010. Over a quarter of the way through the year, how well have I done?

Goals
  1. Get a teaching job - hopefully this will happen before 2010, but if not, it is my hope that I will be able to pick up a permanent role during the year. Achieved - the role is only until the end of the year but it counts towards my registration.
  2. Take a yoga class - my work place (that I am leaving just before Christmas *scared face*) offers one for a decent price so I really don't have an excuse. Current fail - my new workplace offers a free yoga class and I have yet to make it to that one either. Must make a decision!
  3. Get fit - we are getting a Nintendo Wii soon and once we have a place that we know we are staying in next year we will be getting a treadmill - no excuse of crappy NZ weather. We aren't getting a treadmill anymore but SB has promised to buy me Zumba! I've been doing it at the school I work at.
  4. Go on an overseas holiday - at the moment, it looks like New Caledonia for the win. SB is not fond of flying so we're taking it in baby steps. We are going on holiday but not overseas at this stage - might happen at the end of the year. SB is getting used the the idea of flying LOL
  5. Be more zen/foster patience - I know this is a huge character failing in myself and something I definitely need to improve on. Definitely getting there - being a full-time teacher really helps this.
  6. Do little, often - this year, I have often been guilty of coming in and dumping notes in areas and having these massive cleaning binges in the holidays. Next year, when we are settled, I need to develop a better system. Everything has a place and everything is in it's place. Fail - enough said.
  7. Buy a filing cabinet - see 6 above. Have no idea where we would currently put it, it's on hold.
  8. Develop more pride in myself - multiple reasons have led me in the past to think that I am not very good looking and this has reflected itself in my neglect to put myself together in a spectacular way. This stops now - I have a slammin' wash and wear hairstyle, now I just need to sparkle up my face and make sure I put together gorgeous outfits. Style mavens, I'm looking at you. I give myself an A for effort for this one. Style is a journey rather than a destination and I think that I've made a real effort so far.
  9. Be creative - so many of the handmade projects on the web inspire me. 2010 is going to be the year that I start creating them on my own. Epic fail. I think my difficulty in getting a job really shot my self-esteem in the first quarter of the year and made me feel useless. I moped and made a real waste of that extra time I had available to me.
  10. Give consciously - think about the best solution for an issue and work towards that. Start in my own community and group of friends and move outwards. I definitely think that I've been more conscious this year of where I can give skills and help. Keep this going!
  11. Bake more - one thing both SB and I love from our childhood years was how there was always something yummy of mum's baking around. I need to get into the habit now of creating these delicious treats (and then SB doesn't need to take so many processed snacks to work!) Cannot believe how much of a fail this is right now. I bake less than before we moved. Need to get my A into G. Want to learn how to make carrot cake.
  12. In the same vein, I need to learn how to decorate cakes better. Have this brilliant idea for a Bachelorette party cake and NO idea how to execute it. Ditto
  13. Take more photos - for some reason I didn't take as many photos this winter - I love having a photo record of the fun times I have and the beauty I see around me... loads of memories for when I'm gray and old LOL. Yup, definitely getting there. I need to be more insistent on getting the photos I want sometimes :)
  14. Leading on from 13 above, create some scrapbooks! There's not much use in having all my memories stored digitally - they need to be out, tangible and beautiful for people to see. In progress! Late start but getting there!
  15. Buy a sewing machine - it doesn't need to be a flash one, I'm just a beginner. Looking forward to perhaps trying to construct skirts that flatter my oddly shaped figure. Not yet.
  16. Make more meaningful connections with people... this is a hard one to describe in detail. I feel like I know lots of people but only know a select few... I want to get to know people better, find out what drives them, excites them, makes them tick. I think some of my friendships have definitely grown stronger this year and some of them have grown apart. Reminds me of the reason, season, lifetime theory... this year it feels more true than ever.
  17. Post more frequently to Scribbles - I've let life get away on me somewhat in the past year, so aiming for at least two posts a week in 2010 - that makes 104 little doses of me, which I'm sure you can tolerate :) Again, fail, but I'm definitely working on it.
  18. Throw more dinner parties! There's nothing I love more than getting a group of friends together for a delicious meal. The dinner party we had this year was superb (even if it was a make-your-own burrito bar) and I want loads more repeats please! We're about to hold our second games night this year with people bringing plates for a pot luck dinner - I'm so looking forward to it. Even if that makes me a nana.
  19. Start writing fiction like I have always planned to do... I'm not going to set a goal of even trying to get published next year but I need to start working towards it as a future goal. Because of study and because of the needs of my future profession, NaNoWriMo is never going to be an option for me but that doesn't mean I should not write. All my creative juices seem to be zapped by my teaching but once I create a better work/life balance I may find this changes. Roll on school holidays LOL
  20. Write more letters - this is a bit of a selfish one... I like writing letters because I LOVE receiving them. Far better than boring bills. Have been slack on this front but have been getting into the habit of writing thank you letters and cards again and these have been so well received. I will now be aiming to write a letter a week, to make this a more measurable goal. Watch out my Christchurch and Perth ladies LOL.
Interesting. A real mixture of achieveds and not achieveds there ( a little NCEA humour there for anyone familiar with the NZ education system) - very little in the way of Excellence. The good news is that it is only May so I have plenty of time to get things sorted! Look out for my mid-year update at the start of July!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing well, especially with so many goals!

    For me, I think the areas I really want to work on are travel, and friendships/relationships.

    Why would teaching rule you out of NaNoWriMo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats bub! goals take a while to acheive and you are powering through that list!

    ReplyDelete