High School Mixtape

A lot of my friends have been joining a group on Facebook that you like "when a song reminds you of a person, a place, a memory"... coincidentally, I had just such a moment on the way to watch SATC2 with a friend at the movies last night. One of Ice Cube's songs came on the radio and I was instantly back in 2002, my seventh form (Year 13/last year of school) year, partying underage and grinding up against strangers on the dance floor... such a tease. I thought it would be fun to make a blog mix tape of songs that were important to me in high school - let you guys get to know more about the me of the past.

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris:3rd and 4th form, I was very much a "Top of the Pops" sort of girl. I didn't do a lot of searching for music, just listened to a couple of music shows on TV and followed the general trend.

Eminem - Stan: Started dating FirstLove. His music tastes a little darker, more rock than pop. Around the same time, my first exposure to Linkin Park.

Linkin Park - In the End: FirstLove says he wants this played at his funeral and he plans on dying young and leaving a good-looking corpse. He didn't, but this should have been ringing alarm bells for me that we didn't want the same things out of life LOL.

Public Domain - Bass In The Place: Introduction into the world of house music and techno.

Darude - Sandstorm: Reminds me of movement (dance) routines in drama class, some of my most enjoyable classes in high school.

Train - Drops of Jupiter: First heartbreak. Thought the world would end. It didn't.


Ice Cube - You Can Do It/Eve - Ladies: Drinking underage, partying hearty being single for the first time in my adult life. Learning how to bump and grind. Little bit of a surprise that the radio was playing Ice Cube as a old school throwback song... guess I'm really getting old!

Funny how songs can take you back so quickly to those awkward teenage years. Some songs full of joy, others full of sadness. Would love to hear your stories - what songs take you back?

2 comments:

  1. eminem yess! and spice girls. and the first destiny's child albumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love Iris and Drops of Jupiter! I only really have a couple of songs with much meaning to me. Will have to blog about it...

    ReplyDelete